President Biden Signs Into Law Allred’s Bipartisan Bill Authorizing Construction of VA Facilities, Including Spinal Cord Injury Center in Dallas
Washington, D.C. – On July 29, Congressman Colin Allred (TX-32) joined President Joe Biden in the Oval Office at the White House as he signed into law bipartisan legislation led by Allred to authorize several Veterans Affairs construction projects funded in fiscal year 2021, including a Spinal Cord Injury Center in Dallas. The Major Medical Facility Authorization Act passed both the House and Senate with overwhelming bipartisan support.
Read more about the Spinal Cord Injury Center in Dallas and how its construction will be a “godsend” for veterans in the Dallas Morning News.
“We have a sacred commitment to ensure each and every one of our veterans gets the support, services and care they need when they return home,” said Allred. “I am so proud that my bipartisan legislation will make sure our veterans here in North Texas and across the country can access the best quality care we have to offer. I thank President Biden for swiftly signing this into law and will continue to work with my colleagues from both parties to serve our veterans.”
In 2020, Allred led the charge to secure the Garland VA Medical Center, which is now open and serving veterans across North Texas.
Background on the Major Medical Facility Authorization Act:
- This legislation authorizes several Veterans Affairs construction projects funded in fiscal year 2021 including:
- Spinal cord injury center in Dallas at $249,000,000
- Specialty care building in American Lake, WA at $110,600,000
- Community living center and domiciliary and outpatient facilities in Canandaigua, NY at $383,741,000
- Outpatient clinic and national cemetery in Alameda, CA at $266,200,000
- Realignment and closure of the Livermore Campus in Livermore, CA at $455,000,000
- Seismic corrections to the mental health and community living center in Long Beach, CA at $367,300,000
- Spinal cord injury building with a community living center and parking garage in San Diego, CA at $252,100,000